Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Long Time Listener First Time Caller

I am a rookie blogger and have thought about changing the name of my blog to RookieWriter because that is what I am. I am a registered Republican because of Ronald Reagan and his optimistic outlook on life and his faith that good free men will always prevail. Peace through strength is hard to disagree with. In 1984 I was 20 years old and went with my family to vote for the first time at the elementary school I went to as a child. I remember the long line but at the time I didn't know if a line that long was normal. Well, I have not missed a presidential election since then and now I know that line was long. I also remember the years before Ronald Reagan when this country had some tough times but as a kid it didn't seem to effect me that much. I remember waiting in gas lines, depending on weather it was an even or odd day and what your license plate ended in. I remember mortgage interest rates of 18% and Americans held hostage in Iran and the news channels counting how many days and reminding us every day at the beginning of their broadcast. I also remember they were some of the best days ever, I guess being a kid and having no responsibilities make it possible to have fun even while waiting in line for gas. When I was five our family lived in a trailer park, but it was a nice trailer park, we had a huge orchard to play in, a big pond to fish in and ice skate on and allot of friends. We lived modestly but our parents managed to send the three of us to Catholic school, K thru 2nd grade for me. Even though it was only a couple of years it made a difference. No matter how tough things get, family, faith and friends are what really matter. Our country is going through some tough times again, I have even heard our president and others compare it to the great depression. I'm not sure what to compare it to, but I do know it can't be compared to the great depression yet and hopefully ever. How do I know this? At every restaurant in town Saturday night you had to wait to be seated.

It was 1992 when I really started taking more interest in politics. I took a leave of absence from my job in Maryland and headed to Florida to catch up with my high school sweetheart who I almost let get away. I found a job, not the job I really wanted but I knew it would be temporary. My company truck only had an A.M. radio with only a couple of channels and one of those channels carried Rush Limbaugh. I was hooked and I still listen to this day. Think what you want about Rush Limbaugh, he's the reason I have a Hot Springs portable spa on my patio and Allen Brother's steaks on my birthday. Today I listen to a variety of talk radio shows and have never called into one of them, but I do now know who my representatives in congress are and I called them for the first time this week. I called my Senator to thank him for a job well done and I sensed the person that answered the phone was waiting for me to rant and rave. I have a feeling they will be getting allot of calls for the next four years, I will try to make my calls in a positive manor with the hope of getting positive results.

2 comments:

Jan n Jer said...

Hugh that was a great post. You spoke from you heart, that is what I like to hear. There are no magic bullets at this particular time in our Country's history. It will take all Americans pulling in one direction for us to get ourselves out of this mess. Jer n I are proud to call you our son in law. I just may have to call our senator and give him some encouragement also.

Living Life said...

*sniff *sniff. That was very emotional and well written. I am proud to be your wife.